Company: Best Friends Animal Society
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Location: Kanab, Utah (Relocation
Best Friends Animal Society currently has multiple
positions available for Veterinary Technicians. Join our team at
the largest animal sanctuary in the country! We offer competitive
pay and assistance with relocation expenses to Kanab, Utah. Help to
save lives in our state-of-the-art hospital where we pride
ourselves on offering homeless pets the same top-of-the-line care
that animals with the most loving families would have their vets
provide. The 13,000-square-foot facility offers a private room for
shy community cats to stay before and after spay/neuter surgery, a
dedicated dental suite, a state-of-the-art laboratory, an x-ray
suite, an ultrasound room and many more features that allow us to
provide top-notch care. So follow your dream and come live among
the beautiful red rock canyons, and put your veterinary technician
experience to work for the animals who need you most homeless
Work closely with Veterinarians, Veterinary Assistants,
Veterinary Assistant, Senior Technicians, Team Leader, and Clinic
support staff to provide medical care to all patients seen by the
Best Friends Animal Sanctuary Clinic. Duties encompass a wide array
of tasks including but not limited to medical record management,
client communication, all aspects of veterinary nursing care, and
providing financial itemization for all services provided. Medical
care provided by a Clinic Veterinary Technician must be performed
with general and specialized understanding of the procedure. They
must be able to work independently and perform a majority of skills
with minimal or no guidance.
- Communicate professionally and with a high level of
customer service to Clients, Veterinary staff, Management and other
Sanctuary departments regarding all job responsibilities,
especially the health of clinic patients.
- Maintain the ability to follow policies and procedures
set by the Medical Director and Clinic Manager.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding patient
status/treatment, client information and other sensitive clinic
- Act as liaison between Veterinarians (internal and
external), Clinic Management, owners/Caregivers regarding the
health, status, and welfare of all Clinic patients.
- Have medical skills associated with all aspects of
hospitalized patients: following treatment sheets, recognizing and
communicating changes in patient status, common and specialized
diagnostic procedures, alternative medicine.
- Have surgical skills associated with all aspects of
surgical patients: sterile technique, assisting the Veterinarian
intra-operatively, surgical induction, postoperative care,
recognizing anesthetic complications, perioperative monitoring, and
operating specialized equipment.
- Perform husbandry, triage, phlebotomy, labwork, IV
catheter placement, radiology, ultrasound, wound
management/bandaging, fluid maintenance, injectable and oral
medication administration, laser treatment, intubation/extubation,
monitoring and maintenance of anesthesia,, etc.
- Perform solely or in conjunction with a Senior
Technician/Veterinarian special procedures including: chemotherapy,
blood transfusions, maintaining feeding tubes/chest tubes/urinary
catheters, dentals, critical care of medical and surgical patients,
physical therapy, euthanasia.
- Perform above medical skills while following strict
- Perform laboratory testing and basic interpretation: cbc,
chemistry panels, T4, urinalysis/fecal analysis (multiple species),
ear cytology, PT/PTT, blood smears, facilitate outside lab work,
- Have a working knowledge of medical conditions,
terminology, transcription and data entry.
- Have sound mathematical knowledge of Veterinary medicine
in order to properly dose medications and fluids.
- Triage and discharge (including home treatments,
medications, and follow-up) routine and specialized medical and
- Provide medical care for animals that have significant
behavioral issues, which can include but is not limited to shyness,
fearfulness and aggression.
- Independently perform proper and humane medical restraint
techniques for multiple species.
- Write and deliver customized continuing education classes
for co-workers supporting job related responsibilities.
- Maintain appropriate standard of care protocols: clean
housing, fresh food, fresh water, clean litter box, new
- Other duties as assigned.
- Prior experience working in a Veterinary clinic or prior
experience as a Veterinary Technician, or relevant education and or
- Work requires continual attention to detail. Must be able
to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to
juggle multiple competing tasks and demands.
- Demonstrates personal accountability to ensure that all
responsibilities are completed effectively and in a timely
- Demonstrates approachability when dealing with the
general public. Experience in interacting with the general public
(customer service) preferred.
- Demonstrates ability to create and encourage a positive
- Strong interpersonal skills, i.e., ability to develop
positive relationships with others and demonstrate sensitivity to
the thoughts, feelings and perspectives of others.
- Accurate, appropriate, clear and concise written and
verbal communication skills. Strong listening skills.
- Experience with or ability to learn Microsoft Word and
Excel, google calendar, docs and email and ADP.
- Able and willing to professionally advocate Best Friends
and the Best Friends Medical team position on issues.
- Willing to work on weekends/holidays/varying shift times
and on-call shifts as required.
- Must want to work to further your own learning by asking
questions and doing personal research.
- Must have a valid driver's license and qualify for Best
- Ability to lift and handle animals of varying sizes and
species, bending, stooping, and walking on a daily
- Must be able to perform strenuous manual labor. Ability
to stand for long periods of time while performing work requiring
concentration and manual dexterity.
- Must be able to work out of doors in all weather
conditions, with temperatures ranging from below freezing to 100
- Must be able to bend, stoop, hike, walk, kneel, and
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career
at Best Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an
equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to their race, color,
religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age,
disability, marital status, or domestic partner
Keywords: Best Friends Animal Society, Saint George , Vet Tech, Other , Kanab, Utah
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!