Head Start Teacher 40
Company: Southern Utah University
Location: Cedar City
Posted on: June 8, 2021
Under the direction of the Child Development Area Supervisor,
the Teacher, along with the Teaching team, is responsible for the
classroom operation including planning, carrying out activities,
maintaining a safe classroom environment, supervising children to
keep them safe. Teachers conduct parent/teacher conferences, home
visits and supervise classroom volunteers. Teachers are responsible
to work with parents and the Teaching team daily to plan and
implement an individualized curriculum for 3 to 5-year-old children
in the Head Start classroom. He/she works in partnership with other
teachers, and full-time advocates to build a positive relationship
with the families
This position will be 40 hours a week.
First consideration date of applicants will be 06/10/2021.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrates and models good health, nutrition, safety and
positive discipline practices and supports the other teachers in
providing children and parents with a positive respectful classroom
- Responsible to make sure each child screenings, assessments,
and evaluations are completed as scheduled, and that the results
are recorded accurately, and then are reported to parents and the
central office in a timely manner and then use the information to
guide individualized curriculum planning for each child.
- Support the specific needs of children who come to Head Start
with individual education plans (IEP), and assist parents to refer
their child to the local education agency for assessment of
concerns that are noted or develop after the child's
- Supports parents in their role as prime educators of their
child by building an engaged trusting relationship and by
integrally involving them in the development of home and classroom
learning activities individualized for their child.
- Responsible for maintaining education logs on each enrolled
child and family in the programs database.
- Responsible to conduct at least two parent/teacher conferences
and two home visits with each family where information about the
child's growth and development is shared back and forth between
teachers and parents.
- Maintains order and cleanliness with daily cleaning, regular
disinfection of toys, furniture and toothbrushes, and proper
storage of toys and equipment both inside the classroom and on the
- Maintains the classroom inventory and may be required to
transport materials and other supplies from the central
- Coordinates with the family advocate on parent committee
meetings, attends and presents a classroom update and parent
training from the curriculum.
- Attends and implements required trainings including
pre-service, in-services, Head Start conferences, workshops and
individualized trainings for 15 hours of professional development
- Accepts other job-related duties as assigned by the
Education and Experience Requirements:
- An Associate's Degree in early childhood education or related
area with early childhood classes with a willingness to work
towards a bachelor's degree is required.
- A Bachelor's Degree in early childhood education or a
bachelor's degree in a related field with coursework equivalent to
a major relating to early childhood education is strongly
- A CDA or a willingness to acquire a CDA within eighteen months
of employment will be considered if the above qualifications are
not in place.
- The ability to speak and write both English and Spanish is
- Experience working with preschool children required.
- Must demonstrate adequate health to do the job. He/she must be
able to lift 40 pounds, carry it for 50 feet, and be able to sit on
the carpet and get back up without assistance.
- He/she must be willing to work effectively in a team with
agency representatives, parents, specialists, family advocates, and
other professionals to meet the needs of the children and
- Must maintain current CPR and First Aid certifications, and
food handler's permit, blood borne pathogens, hazardous chemicals
exposure, and preventing sexual harassment trainings are
- Must support the Head Start Performance Standards, the SUU Head
Start Mission, Head Start policies and procedures and the SUU Head
Start Code of Conduct.
- Acts in the best interest of SUU Head Start and Southern Utah
University at all times.
- Employment is conditional pending results of a pre-employment
physical exam and TB test, and approval of the Head Start Policy
- Must be able to pass a background check with the BCI database
and not have a record of substantiated child abuse or any other
crimes against the vulnerable population.
Document Needed to Apply:
- Cover Letter
- 3 Professional Reference
- Unofficial Transcripts
Southern Utah University is committed to maintaining a community
which recognizes and values the worth and dignity of every person;
fosters tolerance, understanding, and mutual respect among its
members; and encourages individual commitment to personal
responsibilities in equal measure with personal rights. In pursuit
of its goal of academic excellence, the University seeks to develop
and nurture diversity. The University believes that diversity among
its many members strengthens the institution, stimulates
creativity, promotes the exchange of ideas, and enriches campus
Southern Utah University does not discriminate against any
member of the University community on the basis of race, religion,
color, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender
identity, disability status, veteran status, pregnancy,
pregnancy-related condition, genetic information, or other bases
protected by applicable law in employment, treatment, admission,
access to educational programs and activities, or other University
benefits or services.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
Keywords: Southern Utah University, Saint George , Head Start Teacher 40, Other , Cedar City, Utah
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!