Specialist, Lifesaving and Care-Cat World
Company: Best Friends Animal Society
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Location: Kanab, Utah
***There are currently multiple positions
Best Friends offers competitive pay starting at $15.00 per
hour and the benefits package is one of the best!
Summary: Lifesaving and Care Specialists play a
direct role in achieving Best Friends Animal Society's no-kill
mission and goal by providing the hands-on care for the animals at
the sanctuary, working with all departments to find those animals
homes wherever possible, and serving as mission and brand
ambassadors for the tens of thousands of guests, volunteers, and
adopters who visit the sanctuary annually.
Purpose: These Cat World specialists work
within a team setting to oversee the health, wellbeing, and general
care of cats. They have a unique role as the direct day-to-day
connector between the animals in our care and our supporters. As
such these specialists represent Best Friends through in-person
work, conversations, demonstrations, tour presentations, and other
Essential Duties / Responsibilities:
Outcomes & Ambassadorship
- Support lifesaving objectives throughout the department,
providing feedback and support for outcome plans, assist with all
aspects of the adoption process, regularly update animal photos and
bios, provide superior customer service to visitors, volunteers,
- Serve as a sanctuary ambassador, representing Best Friends'
work to visitors and volunteers, and speaking to the sanctuary's
special role in Best Friends' no-kill goals.
- Support a "volunteers-first" team giving every volunteer the
opportunity to maximize their skills and value towards Best
Friends' lifesaving activities, and inspiring visitors to continue
the work in their communities.
- Provide for the safety and hands-on training of volunteers,
both individuals and groups, including orienting them to the
assigned area and tasks; answering questions as needed.
- Greet and conduct tours, speak about specific animals, the work
of Cat World and the sanctuary, answer questions and assist
visitors with their needs.
- Work alongside and support interns, workshop attendees, and
other categories of visitors.
- Provide basic and routine care for animals per department
guidelines including but not limited to feeding, watering,
transporting to appointments (clinic, hydrotherapy, grooming,
etc.), and light grooming.
- Support animals with medical issues, which may include zoonotic
disease, by medicating, treating, preparing special diets,
observing and reporting, and assisting in the maintenance of
required veterinary records.
- Providing socialization, enrichment, and exercise for animals
as outlined by leadership; identifying behavioral issues and
sharing observations with team members and leaders; following
behavior or other plans as developed for the department or specific
- Cleaning work areas and preserving physical appearance of cat
buildings and grounds: scooping, raking, sweeping, shoveling,
dusting, mopping, trash removal, scrubbing, weeding, etc., noting
maintenance or repairs needed and reporting per protocol.
- Deliver superior customer service relating to all visitors,
adopters, fosters and transfer partners in a friendly, informative
and professional manner.
- Follow Best Friends policies, procedures, and task lists for
daily lifesaving outcome assignments; including accurate and timely
communications, work completion, data entry, and
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills / Experience:
- Strong desire to work with cats. Previous experience a
- Customer-centric, non-judgmental approach to engaging with
adopters, partners, visitors, volunteers, and colleagues;
familiarity and comfort with an open adoption process, experience
interacting with the public (customer service) preferred.
- Ability to professionally speak about Best Friends activities
and positions on issues.
- Ability to work with, crate, and handle cats, including those
with health and/or behavior conditions/concerns including shyness,
fearfulness, and aggression; basic ability to identify and speak to
medical and behavioral characteristics of cats.
- Resourceful, get-it-done attitude; ability to adopt to new work
areas or processes; problem solving, seeking answers independently
and enthusiastically; flexibility to persist until department goals
- Strong interpersonal skills, positive attitude, a team player,
personable, professional, and able to get along with people from
- Abilityto work in a fast-paced environment
withwell-developedorganization skillsto juggle multiple competing
tasks and demands; with accurate, appropriate, clear and concise
written and verbal communication skills; and strong listening
- Basic experience with Microsoft Office products; familiarity
with shelter software (Best Friends usesShelterluv), or desire to
- Must be able to:
- Routinely lift 65 pounds and perform daily strenuous activity
including, but not limited to lifting, carrying, reaching,
stooping, squatting, cleaning, and bending.
- Perform repetitive tasks for extended periods of time including
typing, sitting, walking, arm, and hand motion.
- Work indoors and outdoors in a variety of weather conditions
including extreme heat and cold.
- Daily exposure to dogs, cats and other animals of all sizes,
temperaments, and medical status.
- Valid driver's license, ability to qualify to be added to Best
Friends insurance, ability to travel, including overnight stays,
- Daily hours and days of the week may vary according to the
needs of the department schedule; position includes weekends,
nights and holiday work.
Thank you for your interest in pursuing a career at Best
Friends Animal Society. Best Friends Animal Society is an equal
opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to their race, color,
religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age,
disability, marital status, domestic partner status, or medical
Keywords: Best Friends Animal Society, Saint George , Specialist, Lifesaving and Care-Cat World, Other , Kanab, Utah
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!